Monday, February 9, 2009

The “O, MY” in Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy: How to Prepare Your Child for Surgery (Book #3 in the Growing with Love Series)

 

Laurie Zelinger, PhD, RPT-S
Loving Healing Press (2008)
ISBN 9781932690743
Reviewed by Danelle Drake for Reader Views (12/08)


When I was a little girl growing up in the 70s, having your tonsils taken out was something that went right along with starting school.  I could not wait until it was my turn.  The surgery, I had no idea about; but, afterward was pay-dirt from what my playmates said.  Just about every child in my development had the opportunity to indulge in the ice cream and pudding for three meals per day for at least a week.  After my turn finally came and I enjoyed the goodies it was someone else's turn for the good stuff.  After that we all grew up and became adults and had children of our own. That is just about the time I was hit in the face with a brick.  These precious little ones did not come with instruction manuals.  You were handed your little bundle of joy and out the hospital doors you went into the world of parenthood.  The first chance I had I went and purchased every parenting book I could get my hands on.  Some were very practical and some were far from. 
 
"The 'O, MY' in Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy: How to Prepare Your Child for Surgery" is a great tool to help you understand what will be happening to your child, why they are performing the surgery, and what you need to know to be better prepared in caring for your child after the surgery is performed.  "The Ultimate Preparation List" and "Caregiver's Organizer," which are included, make it easy to have yourself prepared so you can focus all of your attention on your child.  Regardless of the time-frame you are dealing with for the upcoming surgery, "The "O, MY" in Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy" will take you from several months away or days away and lead you through the path to make the surgery non-traumatic for your child. 
 
Laurie Zelinger, PhD, RPT-S has provided us with the first-hand experience she had with her own child to better prepare us for the experience with our own child.  "The 'O, My' in Tonsillectomy & Adenoidectomy" is a must for each parents "how-to" library and will be very beneficial when the time comes.