Monday, October 19, 2009

Love Each Day: Live Each Day So You Would Want to Live it Again

Gail Bernice Holland
Modern History Press (2009)
ISBN 9781932690798
Reviewed by Paige Lovitt for Reader Views

"Love Each Day" is a beautifully written book that contains 40 inspiring essays about people from different walks of life.  The main point of the book is to "Live each day so you would want to live it again."  Each story focuses on an individual's experience in which they realized that they were having one of those days that they would want to live again.  The topics cover a variety of situations which run from having a relaxing day, to qualifying for the Olympics, to setting foot on the moon.  Each one is valuable in itself because I felt like it inspired me to see that my ordinary life has incredible meaning, and if I choose to have the right attitude, even the difficult moments can be seen in a more favorable light.
I really enjoyed reading these stories.  I appreciated that each person allowed the author to interview them for this book. Their stories should be told so that we can be inspired to look at our lives and create our own stories.  Some of my most incredible life-altering moments have come from mundane experiences.  I found myself tapping into a source that allowed me to see things on a higher level.  "Love Each Day" reminded me of many of these experiences that I have had.  Several have happened while at work.  Realizing that I have my own special moments reminded me that I need to appreciate my career more and the incredible people that come into my life.
 
By reading this book, I see that there is less emphasis on the importance of money and material things and importance placed on engaging in activities that are meaningful and being of service to others.  This is where we will find true meaning in our lives.  I highly recommend "Love Each Day" by Gail Bernice Holland to graduates who are ready to launch themselves out into the world.  By giving them this message early, they will find themselves seeking out much more meaningful careers.  I also think that people who are in public service jobs will also benefit from this book.  It might even help them avoid burn out. 

Listen to interview on Inside Scoop Live
Read interview with Gail Holland