Monday, November 9, 2009

Black Road 2012

Jeffrey A. Friedberg
INDI Publishing Group (2009)
ISBN 9780978924720
Reviewed by Paige Lovitt for Reader Views

 

"Black Road 2012" is book one in a four-part book series called "Empire of the Gods: The God Conspiracy."  After reading the first one, I cannot wait to get my hands on the rest when they become available.  Like a dangerous addictive substance, I was hooked immediately.
 
Jack Vane is an aging, injured, ex-private eye.  He is head over heels over his much younger, beautiful, pregnant wife.  When she and the twins that she is carrying are brutally murdered, his whole world appears to collapse. But in reality something in him has awakened.  As he discovers that there is much more to her death than meets the eye, he finds himself evolving into something more.  He learns that he is a key player in an ancient prophecy that involves a Sumerian relic.  He also discovers he now has a darkness within that at times threatens to overwhelm him.
 
As Jack continues to investigate who caused his wife's death, he learns there are three potential groups involved.  Each one is seeking the mysteriously powerful relic for their groups' own means.  Initially, Jack is not quite sure what is happening to him, he just knows that one of the three groups was involved with his wife's murder. He is more interested in seeking revenge than anything else.  As time passes he realizes he could benefit from learning more about the prophecy and how it involves him.  He must do this to stay alive and possibly save the world.
 
"Black Road 2012" is an incredible book.  The characters are well developed and very interesting. The scenes are vividly detailed, so that you feel like you are watching what is happening instead of reading about it.  Friedberg has done an excellent job with creating a plot that has so many twists and turns, you will feel like you are on a rollercoaster ride -- a really intense one.  As a matter of fact, while I didn't hold my hands up in the air and scream, I did find myself holding my breath, covered in goose bumps, wishing that I could shut my eyes, but of course since I needed to be able to read the print to move on with the story, I had to keep them open. I highly recommend "Black Road 2012" by Jeffrey A. Friedberg.