Monday, January 11, 2010

Forever

Running River
Hawk Feather Press (2009)
ISBN 9780979918018
Reviewed by Avni Gupta (age 15) for Reader Views Kids


When I received "Forever," I was really excited about reading it. Once I found out that the author was a 13-year-old girl, I became a little worried. There is nothing wrong with a 13-year-old, but I just wasn't sure how well someone this age would be able to create realistic characters and a well-defined plot. However, once I read this book, I found out how well this 13-year-old could write!


"Forever" by Running River starts out with General Pengfei talking to his mentor about his upcoming wedding to the Princess of the Moon Country. Soon after being warned against this union by his mentor, Pengfei is summoned to the King's palace to talk about some Jungle Country spies that had been seen and shot at in the forest. Since Pengfei is the most-honorable, well-known and most-trusted General in the entire kingdom, along with the youngest one in the history of the kingdom, he is one of the few generals who the King always confides in and trusts more than his own advisors. Shortly after his meeting with the King, Pengfei stumbles upon a half-dead girl covered in wounds and a shredded green tunic (green is the color of the Jungle Country and only they may wear that color). Now Pengfei finds himself in love with this girl in green. Will he be able to break off his engagement and marry one of his country's enemies?


This book was a fun read and a great book for people of all ages. Even my 13-year-old male cousin thought that this book was interesting and wanted to keep reading after I let him read the first few pages. Overall, I felt as though this book was very well written and gave another interesting take on the common star-crossed-lovers concept. I feel as though anybody reading this book will be able to love it and want to read all of the rest of the books to come soon. I recommend this book to anyone and everyone for its wonderful characters and amazing plot line. If you see this book, "Forever," anywhere, be sure to buy it. You will not regret it! Congrats to Running River for writing such an amazing book!

Listen to interview with Running River